Unicenter® Network and Systems Management r11
Unicenter® Network and Systems Management (Unicenter NSM) helps you sustain an optimized, business driven infrastructure, maximizing the return on your IT investment by continuously assessing and self-managing network and systems elements. Innovative, secure and platform-independent management enables you to confidently deploy and maintain single platform or heterogeneous business applications.
· Management Command Center
· Management Database
· Adaptive Configuration
· Continuous Discovery
· Web-based Reporting
· Configuration Management
· Common Transport Mechanism
· Choice of either Ingres or Microsoft SQL Server Management Database (MDB)
Maximizing Utilization While Providing Quality Service
IT customers are very demanding. Instant response is expected in order to maintain peak productivity of internal customers, and maintain positive business relations with external customers. The inability to proactively detect, respond to and repair network and system infrastructure issues can result in serious financial consequences for your business.
Yet techniques commonly used to boost performance such as providing a dedicated infrastructure for each application have often led to inefficiencies and higher costs. Thus, organizations are looking for ways to maximize their return on existing investments by optimizing utilization while not impacting end user service.
Todays IT infrastructure is very complex often consisting of both legacy and leading-edge technologies, all of which must operate efficiently to deliver an integrated business application. For example, an inventory system might consist of a mainframe database connected to an SAP application on a UNIX server, running over a network containing network elements from Cisco Systems and Nortel Networks. In order to manage the business application, rather than just the individual elements or groups of elements, the dynamic relationships between these must be understood and managed as a whole.
Keeping Focused Amid the Noise
Managing a complex environment, while keeping focused on serving the greater business needs, is no easy task. Data Centers are presented with an enormous amount of information which has to be analyzed in order to find the meaningful events that require attention, or correlated in order to determine the root cause of a set of circumstances. Many times information about the elements is kept manually and is often woefully out of date. IT organizations need tools that provide constant monitoring of the environment, and accurate and timely management views. Also, IT management must include as much self-management as possible, while raising outstanding issues for attention based on business priorities.
Efficient, Business-Focused Operations
Unicenter NSM enables organizations to deploy and optimize a complex, secure and reliable infrastructure that supports business objectives. In addition, it helps ensure continuous health and performance for the critical infrastructure through innovative and intelligent techniques that enable organizations like yours to control costs while maintaining or increasing responsiveness to changing business priorities. Its ability to integrate with other solutions both in the CA portfolio as well as from partners and to share information via a common database provides powerful validation for CA's Enterprise IT Management (EITM™) vision.
Distinctive Features and Functionalities
Universal Technologies. Common standards and technologies between CA products and 3rd party solutions reduces the risk of deployment, lowers the cost of integration and speeds learning and implementing new technologies:
· Management Database (MDB). The asset centric MDB is a shared entity so that collective knowledge can be mined and acted upon by the various management specialties. The MDB is supported on either an embedded Ingres or Microsoft SQL Server (including named instances) database platform.
· Common Transport Mechanism. A single and secure method that simplifies the configuration and management of communication in complex network environments. It includes standard features such as Secure Sockets, encryption, port consolidation and dynamic configuration.
· Standard User Interface. Across CA, standardized functional layout, labels, colors and other user interface aspects are used so that interaction with all CA products will be simplified.
· Continuous Discovery. A real-time discovery mechanism for Unicenter components enables you to maintain an up-to-the-minute catalog of IT assets. Unicenter NSM then automatically creates and updates visualization and topologies based on the discovered objects.
· Web Reporting Services (WRS). Web-based scheduling, execution and viewing of Unicenter reports:
· Graphical report presentations can be composed of table, chart or text views
· Drill-down is provided from high-level reports into more detailed views
· Reports can be generated in HTML, CSV and PDF formats
Heterogeneous Discovery, Health and Performance. Unicenter NSM supports
EITM™ is CAs vision of how to unify and simplify the management of enterprise-wide IT. To help achieve this, Unicenter NSM is built upon CAs Integration Platform which provides a set of shared services such as workflow, rules, policies, UI, users and management data. By developing this set of integrated, yet modular services, the resulting management products benefit from sharing a Common User Interface which provides a consistent user experience, data integration that enables a unified view of all users, assets and policies within the enterprise, and common workflows and process across management functions. the broadest collection of platforms and vendors in the market today, reducing the risk for business applications.
· Automated Monitoring and Response. Extensive information about the health of all elements and performance of the server infrastructure is collected in a self-managing fashion so that you can accurately and easily identify, notify and respond to abnormalities that may impact end-user service (see Figure 1). Escalation and notification policies can be tailored per group or individual to reduce problem resolution time.
· Event Correlation. Unicenter NSM enables you to analyze events in a drill-down fashion to identify the true issue(s) within a series of related events.
· Policy-Based Event Notification. Information response can be targeted to specific roles within the enterprise. Through console views, administrators can receive customized sets of events, speeding problem resolution.
· Comprehensive Platform Support. Information can be gathered from a wide variety of platforms, including Windows, UNIX, Linux, AS/400, z/OS and OpenVMS. Network information can be gathered from TCP/IP and SNA architectures, providing a single point of control for an entire enterprises operations.
· Remote Management. Ideal for departmental or WAN environments where local monitoring may be difficult to deploy, this feature enables you to quickly understand primary status of network and systems elements.
· SNMP v3. Enhanced support for SNMP v3 has been added so that you can now take advantage of all the added communication security including authentication and encryption. Unicenter NSM agents can be configured to use SNMP v3 for traps and secured browsing and management policy can be created to manage third party devices as well. Event Management now also supports processing of SNMP v3 traps.
Advanced Visualization. CA has performed extensive analysis on user interfaces and how various roles within a data center work effectively. The result is a variety of interfaces tailored for specific users. Using this role-based management methodology, you can easily navigate IT complexity by using scoped and meaningful visualizations.
· Management Command Center (MCC). The consolidation point for all operational activity, this interface has been designed to reduce complexity and training while facilitating efficient problem resolution. Individual windows can be customized to create an effective and personal working space.
· Unicenter® Management Portal. Provides role-based, dynamic and personalized views of management information securely over the Web. It also enables Unicenter solutions to consolidate data from numerous and disparate data sources querying, reporting and presenting it in a unified view that suits each viewers unique needs.